Saturday, March 6, 2010

Riding sober

When I was a little boy, motocycles were the coolest thing on the planet. Girls had not yet been invented. At the age of 15 a brand new 1970 Honda 70 became my first vehicle. A new freedom entered my life that had been a distant dream until that moment. The world of adventure was now mine for the taking. I was ready to ride from coast to coast, though I don't think I ever made it more than 5 miles past the city limit sign. The adventure doesn't have limitations like miles or weather, the adventure is the experience. If you don't ride, then you don't know.

The age of 15 was pivotal for me. In a 12 month period I discovered motorcyles, got a drivers license (motorcycle then car), discovered girls were wonderfully different creatures, discovered alcohol and drugs. I had my first job, and have been employed ever since.

In 2010 I have a Honda VTX 1300R that I rode 508 miles yesterday. I kissed the girl I discovered in 1974 before I left and upon my return. I still have a job. There has been no alcohol in me for 1,340 days in a row, and I took 2 aspirin last night. Life is a greater adventure now, more than ever.

At age 15 I was a shy skinny boy full of fear and insecurities, and felt I did not fit in, although I could act like I did. At age 54, I am a confident fat man, with little or no fear. I fit in, because I know who I am, and whose I am. I still experience fear and insecurity, but only until I remember that God is in control and is supremely trustworthy, and surender those fears to Him. Riding and God are a lot alike. If you don't ride then you don't know. If you don't know God, then you have no clue. Not everyone can or should experience the adventure and experience of the open road on a bike, but everyone should and can experience the adventure and experience of a life submitted to an awesome God who loves us more than we can possibly imagine.

Keep the shiny side up.

1 comment:

  1. Bill, I love your blog! Thanks for letting me come along on the ride:) Love you, Brother!

    ReplyDelete