Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Practice what I teach

Christianity by its very nature should be inclusive, and not exclusive. Todays church has somehow divided itself in more ways than I would want to list. Based on what I've read and experienced of various denominations in my life, each "church" says they believe the same basic things. However in practice, not so much. This is why movements like the Walk to Emmaus are so cool because the labels come off and we are all one "body.
 It seems to me that unity in the Body of Christ begins with me and my relationship with God, thru Jesus Christ. If that relationship is on the right track, and I am seeking to live in, and do the will of God in all aspects of my life, then it follows that my family will begin to try to do the same thing. When my family becomes unified with Christ at the Head, then our position in our local church (the body of Christ)becomes affected. First affected are the people we are close to, who are striving for unity with the will of God, then the people who see God moving in our lives. Christianity is a lifestyle of attraction not promotion.

We don't need gimmicks, special programs, or taglines to "sell" the Christian lifestyle. All we really need is our story. Our story is simply how our life was before Jesus, what happened, and what it is like now. Our stories are not so much told to others, but lived out before them. There can be absolutely no arguement with what is seen in our actions. We either live what we believe, or we do not.

If I am living my life to glorify God, it is obvious. If I am living to glorify me, it is shamefully obvious. When I am worried, angry, resentful, judgemental, etc. I am demonstrating a lack of trust in a totally trustworty God. When I absolutely trust God, and allow Him to manage my life, things work out so much better. Daily, I must die to my selfish nature, and surrender to God's will. It is not a crutch or a cop out, it is claiming the promises God has for me.

The above post was written yesterday, but I wanted to sleep on it before I posted.  Yesterday was an unusual day in that I didn't screw up hardly at all.  Somehow, I nipped the selfishness, and judgementalism in the bud before it could take root.  Today went pretty good as well.  God placed a woman, fresh out of recovery in my taxi today.  She wanted to go to the liquor store, and we went.  But I think our conversation may have messed up her drinking for today. I invited her and her husband to COTR.  We shall see what unfolds.  As for me, today marks 1,336 days since my last drink.  How cool is that?

For the record, I don't actually count each day.  There is a calculator on my computer that tells me how long since my last drink.  If you are disappointed, get over it.  It's not about you.

Keep the shiny side up.

No comments:

Post a Comment