Saturday, July 31, 2010

Super powers are hard to give up.

It has been a struggle letting go of something that has been apart of me for so long. I'm talking of my super powers. We all have them, or think we do. We all somehow know what other people are thinking or are going to think about us. We stay up late making contingency plans for the events that will take place in the future. Sometimes we get so mad at the people involved with future events that we take preventive action and cut them out of our lives. Sometimes we get disappointed at a person when they don't react the way we had envisioned. Yes, super powers are not always reliable.

This week our refrigerator quit working. There was a time when events such as this would cause me to stress out, yell, cuss, and kick whatever was handy. This time my response was simply to tell Kim "this really isn't blessing me". But in a way it is blessing me. I have the opportunity to marvel again at how God is changing me from the inside. It is also amazing how the change in me is reflected in Kim's attitude as well. She didn't have to watch me drink and obsess over something beyond both of our control, and knew everything would work out just as it is supposed to. So I searched the internet high and low looking for the new refrigerator that would just fit in the space available, (not as easy as you might think), and found one at Lowes. Then, she asks me if it is available in black, so as to match our other appliances. So the sea ch began anew. Last night I looked at the Lowes website, found the brand we wanted, in black, and the right size. Oh yeah, it was now on sale 10 % off and they will deliver, setup, and take away the old one for no additional charges over the purchase price. We also calculated that the icemaker will pay for the new refrigerator in about two years by me not buying ice 2 to 3 times a week.

God is so much better at being God than I am. The more I trust Him, the more I am blessed. I'm really going to try and trust Him with other stuff this week, and if He does a good job with that, I think of something new while trying not to take back anything. Progress not perfection is good enough for me right now.

Today I've been sober for 1,493 days.

Both of my grandsons are awesome.

My wife and daughters are simply amazing, and God is always good.

Keep the shiny side up

No comments:

Post a Comment