Saturday, February 13, 2010

Riding Free

Today I went to "Men's group" at church. It is not Bible study, though the Bible is used. It is a time of fellowship, and a time to talk about the problems and solutions for men in today's times. I'm sure there are many other places and groups where men can come together and be honest with themselves and each other, though I've never been apart of a group like that until about 3 1/2 years ago. Funny how that time period coincides with my sobriety date. Hmmm. That is also when I began to practice rigorous honesty with myself and others. There was a time when what I said and the truth rarely met in the same statement. There is truth in the statement of Jesus that "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". This makes me glad.

Later, after a hearty breakfast. I rode to Ballinger with a couple of friends. One of them is a "new" rider, and he is just beginning to develop his skill set. I had to remember how nervous I was when I began riding a heavy cruiser. It's way different than dirt bikes and the small street bikes of my youth. Anyway, he did just fine.

There is something about following the front tire of a powerful motorcycle that is impossible to describe to someone who doesn't ride. The sights and smells of the open road are somehow heightened, more real, and personal. We only went about 150 miles today, but the renewing of my spirit was like chains of bondage falling off of me. It is often at these times when God speaks to me. Not in audible words, but in feelings, and in unexpected sights. Like topping a hill and seeing hundreds of wind turbines as far as the horizon, with one little old time windmill standing in that forest of giants by a small stock pond, as if to say "Look at me, I am your Father. Then, I think of my Father in heaven, and how He allows me to see the works of man set in the beauty of the land He created, and know that He loved me before I was a twinkle in my daddy's eye. I have so much to be thankful for, and must always remember that God has provided me with everything I need, and pretty much all I want. He really is a cool God.

Wow, I've been sober 1,319 days, and it keeps getting better and better.

Keep the shiney side up.

No comments:

Post a Comment