Friday, February 5, 2010

I will NOT take you to the dope house!!

I don't think I mentioned in the earlier posts that I am a taxi driver/dispatcher. About 4:00 a.m. yesterday I went to pick up a customer, who "did not know the exact address" but could tell me about where the house was. The "purpose of the trip was to get his mom's cell phone charger" and bring it back home. The intersection he wanted to go to is smack dab in the middle of one of the major drug areas in town. I was barely polite when I told him that I was not going to take him to buy crack. He sincerely said that he didn't do drugs, and that he wouldn't lie about the importance of getting his mom's cell phone charger. I told him that the only activity in that neighborhood at 4:00 a.m. is illegal, and "it a'int happenin', bubba. Get out." He got.

I don't know why the drug dealers in these areas aren't hassled more by the cops. They (the dealers) are so obvious, it is pathetic. It looks just like it is portrayed on television and the movies; I kid you not.

Drugs and alcohol have destroyed more lives than probably most wars. It is not a victimless crime. I don't have a solution for the overall problem, but beginning yesterday, I will not contribute to it by taking customers to do their deals. I can and will pray for those people now and in the future.

I will, however, continue to make "beerruns", as they afford me an opportunity to share a little experience, strength, and hope that there is life after alcohol.
There are four people that I know of that have been clean and sober for over a year, that God placed in the back seat of my taxi over the past 3 1/2 years. I am thankful that God allows me to be of service to Him and those who have recovered and those that someday will, if they will become willing to "let go, and let God" do for them what they cannot do for themselves.

Today, I have been sober 1,311 days. But, who is counting.

If you love someone, and you know they have a drinking or drug problem, please don't wait for them to figure it out. By then it may be too late. Seek counsel for yourself, then confront them, calmly, honestly, and with the love you have for them. That maybe all they are waiting for. I know,it is all that I was waiting for and needing.

Thank you, Maw, for finally telling me enough was enough and I wasn't fooling anyone. If you hadn't confronted me that July 4, night in 2006, I probably wouldn't be alive to write this. I love you.

Keep the shiney side up.

1 comment:

  1. Go Dad! Way to take a stand! I've wondered about where we draw the line with doing our jobs and honoring God to bring freedom to many. Jon and I were wondering, for instance, what would happen if I got a part time job at a retail store and was required to push credit card applications. We decided it might be best for me to apply (when/if the time comes) only at Christian retailers who do not push the bondage of credit cards on their customers. I believe God will honor and reward you for not taking a commission by taking someone to crack town.

    ReplyDelete