Monday, June 28, 2010

My, how time flies.




It's been three weeks since my last post. This weekend Kim and I celebrated 34 years of marriage. It really doesn't seem that long. Whitney should be delivering grandson #2 (Rider), within the next couple of weeks. I rode to Ft. Davis in the Davis mountains and spent the weekend last week.

Ft. Davis is 337 miles from here, most of it thru flat hot west Texas. My neighbor, Ben, and I left at about 3:00 a.m. Saturday and rode thru the night to miss the hot part of the day. Sunrise found us headed south on Hwy 118 with the mountains barely discernible on the southern and western horizon. In less than two hours of straight dessert riding we found ourselves in the midst of breathtaking granite mountains. There was a sweet smell in the air that I could not identify, but I would like to stay there just to enjoy that aroma. I was reminded of the line from "Wild Hogs" where William Macy's character describes John Travolta's cologne as a smell between a lawyer and a cowboy. It didn't smell like that, I was just reminded of the line because I do not have the words to describe it.

This is a picture from atop the mountain in Ft. Davis State Park. Man, that's a good looking motorcycle. I packed a lot of stuff, as this was my first camping adventure. I learned a lot about what I need to take, and just as important what I don't need to take.


We rode to an observation site that was built for viewing the Marfa lights, on Saturday which is where the sunset pictured below was taken. The lights did not appear for us that night, but it was a good ride and the facilities were awesome. I recommend you take your own chair if you go.


There will definitely have to be another trip as we did not get to go to the McDonald Observatory due to weather, and I have to give the Marfa lights another chance.

Sunday morning broke early, and I rode to the mountain top alone to be with the Father. I enjoyed a quiet time of reflection and meditation. Basically I stood amazed and humbled at the beauty that God had created, and gave thanks. This was also Father's day. I was wishing my family could see what I see, and feel what I feel in that moment. Four years ago I was at risk of losing both my family and my life. But a loving and all powerful God heard my prayers and those of my wife and freed my from the bonds of my addiction. One week from today I will have been sober for 4 years. Thank you, Jesus.

All in all, it was a good Fathers day. Keep the shiny side up.

No comments:

Post a Comment